Irumban puli is very common tree in India. Not only in India Tropical America was probably the original home of this tree. From there it spread to Philippines, South East Asia, India, Pakistan and Sri-Lanka and to some other areas too. It has so much of medicinal value and adds flavor to local cuisine. Known by several names in kerala – Ilimbi, Ilumbanpuli, Bilimbi, Chilimbi, Irumban puli, Chemmeen puli, Keerichakka.
In order to avoid poison sprayed food, i personally recommend to maximize the use of berries, fruits and vegetables from our own compound.
Here is a combination pickle using dates and Irumbanpuli.
1. Irumban Puli – 500 Gms
2. Dates – 250 Gms
3. Pickle Powder – 3 Spoon
1. Green Chilli – 3 Nos (chopped)
2. Ginger – One Cube shaped (chopped)
3. Garlic – One Bulb (chopped)
1. Curry Leaves – 1 Leaf set
2. Mustard – 2 Spoon
3. Sesame oil – 5 Spoon
4. Salt – to taste
5. Asafoetida – 1 pinch (powder)
1. Mix Set I close it for 1 hour.
2. Flow 3 spoon of Seasom Oil then add Mustard then curry leaves, after 1 sec you can add Set II.
3. Fry Set II well and you will get good smell of Ginger now.
4. Then add Set I, let it heat and mix well. Add 2 spoon of Vinegar and Asafoetida, again mix it well and close it and remove from fire.
5. Let Cool this mix and fill in to bottle, also flow two spoon of Sesame Oil and close the bottle. After one week you can use it as side dish for any meal.
Make and enjoy sweet pickle.