Mothagam or Kozhukattai is a Traditional Indian Healthy Food that is prepared mainly on Vinayaka Chaturthi as prasadham for lord Vinayaka. It is a very tasty snack that you can prepare. Since it is not so sweet you can have it in any numbers as it is really a healthy snack.
1. Moog dal(Parippu) – ½ Cup
2. White Rice – 1 Cup
3. Jaggery(grated) – 1 Cup
4. Coconut – ¼ Cup
5. Ghee – 2-3 spoon
6. Cardamom powder – ½ Spoon
How to Prepare
1. Wash, dry and roast rice and moong dal separately.
2. Now grind the roasted rice and moong dal coarsely likely the rava consistency and keep it aside.
3. Melt the jaggery by adding little water and remove the impurities, and then add more water and let it boil.
4. Now add the coarsely grind mixture stirring continuously and keep it covered for some minutes so that the rice is cooked soft.
5. Add ghee and mix it well, stir it until it leaves the sides of the pan and form a mass.
6. Then add the grated coconut and cardamom mix it well and turn off the flame.
7. Keep the mixture for 5-10 minutes so that it gets cooled down. Then grease the hand with ghee, take some mixture and roll them in the shape of ball.
8. Do the same for the remaining mixture and steam the balls for atleast 10 minutes.
9. Serve the delicious, healthy and sweet mothagam either hot or warm.