Meen Peera is a popular healthy food in South India. Any fish can be used to prepare and the most commonly used ones are Sardine (Mathi) or Natholi/Kozhuva (Anchovies).
1. Mathi(Sardine)- 1 Kg
2. Grated Coconut- 1 Cup
3. Small onion- 7-8 Nos
4. Green Chilly- 4-5 Nos
5. Ginger- Small piece
6. Garlic Cloves- 3-4 Nos
7. Curry leaves- A few
8. Turmeric powder- 1 Spoon
9. kudam puli (pot tamarind)- 3-4 Nos
10. Oil- 3 Spoon
11. Salt –As required
How to prepare
1. Clean the fish using salt and lemon juice and cut it into small pieces.
2. Now crush the ingredients from grated coconut, small onion, green chilly, curry leaves, garlic, and ginger and turmeric powder into a course mixture.
3. Put the fish pieces in an earthen pot or in a pan along with the crushed mixture and kudam puli.
4. And a little water into the pan and cover it using a lid and cook it in a medium flame for about 10 minutes.
5. Once the fish is boiled and all water gets evaporated off the flame and add the oil and mix well
6. Fish Thoran is ready to serve and you can have it with rice.