Sukhiyan is a deep fried traditional Kerala tea time snack and is one of the healthy recipes made from Green gram which is rich source of low-fat protein and fiber. Thus it is a highly nutritious food that the kids can have.
Green Gram(cherupayar)- 2 Cup
Salt- 1 pinch
Grated Jaggery – 1 Cup
Grated Coconut- 1 Cup
Cardamom – 3 Nos
All-purpose flour- 1 Cup
Turmeric- ¼ spoon
Sugar- 2 spoon
Oil- For Frying
How to prepare
1. Cook green gram (soak it in water for at least 4 hours before cooking) in 2 cups of water with a pinch of salt (if needed). Drain the water completely and keep it aside.
2. Melt Jaggery by adding ¼ cup water. When it melts add coconut & cardamom. Mix well.
3. Add the cooked green gram (cherupayar) to this mix & combine. Make sure that the mix is dry.
4. When it is cooled make small balls with the mix.
5. In a bowl, make a medium thick batter with All-purpose flour along with sugar, turmeric for colour and water.
6. Dip each of the balls in the batter & deep fry.
7. Tasty Sugiyan is ready to be served and can have it as a tea time snack.