Uzhunnu Vada or Black Gram Vada is a common South Indian Recipe. It is also used as a part of breakfast along with Dosa and Chutney etc. Uzhunnu Vada having a nice aromatic flavor is best along with Chutney for breakfast.
1. Uzhunnu /Black gram – 2 Cup
2. Onion – 5-8 Nos
3. Green Chilli – 3-4 Nos
4. Ginger – Small piece
5. Curry Leaves – As Required
6. Black Pepper – 1 Spoon
7. Cooking Oil – To Fry
8. Salt – As Needed
How to Prepare
1. Soak Uzhunnu (Black gram) for atleast 1 hour and drain the water.
2. Grind it without water to form a thick and smooth batter.
3. Add finely chopped ginger, green chilli, onion, curry leaves and crushed black pepper to the batter and mix nicely.
4. Now in a deep bottomed pan heat the oil and reduce the flame when it is hot enough.
5. Now take some batter in your hand as the size of a lemon and press it to get flat round shape and make a small hole at the center using your finger. Dip your hands in cold water to prevent it from sticking on your hand.
6. Place them slowly into the hot oil and deep fry them by turning both sides till golden color.
7. Repeat the previous steps for the remaining batter and serve it hot along with chutney or as a tea time snack.